5 Reasons Your Tap Water Tastes Disgusting

When it comes to choosing the water that you wish to drink, many people will agree that tap water is not among the top choices of the best-tasting water around. Each municipality has different regulations for what can and cannot be present in the tap water. Tap water may even taste different in different areas and regions where the rules vary.

While it’s clear that many people don’t care for tap water, many others wonder: What makes it taste so bad? 

In this piece, we will examine 5 reasons tap water often tastes terrible and why people are looking to filtered water as an alternative:

Heavy Metals Are Present in Our Tap Water

Most tap water contains an array of heavy metals, which can leave water with many different (often metallic) tastes. Some of these metals including aluminum, asbestos, fluoride, cadamine, chromium 6, copper, lead, arsenic, and mercury. Filtering these heavy metals out of the water through a water filter can help take that metallic taste that many people dislike having in their tap water away, leaving the water tasting fresh and clean.

Algae Blooms Can Grow in Water Supplies

Many water supplies contain various algae blooms or other plant life that that leaves the water tasting fishy, earthy, mouldy, or musty. Algae is the most likely to grow in water supplies that are near springs, although municipally treated water should not have any algae blooms left in it once it gets delivered to the tap. In other rare cases, there may be algae blooms in the sinks in someone’s home if enough bacteria grows there. Usually, these bacteria are harmless but cleaning on a regular basis can ensure nothing grows in your sink.

Chemicals Get Added to Treat Water

The most common reason that tap water may taste funky or off is that chemicals often get added to the water to help “treat” it for other contaminants that may be present in the water. Often, smaller municipalities will use small traces of chlorine or other disinfectants to the water to help treat their water supply before delivering it to people’s taps. These types of chemicals often make it cheaper to manage water on a large scale, so municipalities use them to help cut costs.

Pipes Can Corrode Over Time

If your water tastes bitter or medicinal, it may be due to corroding pipes that are lined with copper. Other chemicals that can make water taste medicinal include sulfates or elevated levels of zinc. The side-effects of such compounds in the water are in most cases negligible, but the water can end up tasting bad.

If you taste this in your water, it might be time to have to have your pipes checked to see if they need be replaced.

Your Tap Water May Come from a Well

About 15% of all Americans access water from a private well, according to the United States Environmental Protection Agency. Getting water from private sources means that the water is unregulated, as the other 85% of the water that comes from municipality sources is.

If you get well water, you should be testing that water on your own at regular intervals. Testing your water can prove to be quite costly if you are to do it individually, but it will help you know that your water is safe and healthy to consume.

Conclusions

There are a variety of reasons that your tap water might taste gross. It can often be hard to pinpoint what makes your tap water taste the way it does. That can depend on the source of your supply and how it gets treated. 

One thing that you can do, though, is filter your tap water. Shop at Goody Water today to find the Goody Water bottle that suits your lifestyle!

 

2019-05-01T07:14:37+00:00